WinterCity Festival presents Winter Moves|
| || ||
The WinterCity Festival, presented by the American Express Philanthropic Program, is an award-winning 14 day city-wide celebration of Toronto’s culture, creativity and cuisine featuring large outdoor spectacle shows, live music and performing arts. WinterCity runs from January 27 – February 9, 2006.
As part of the WOW! (Wild on Winter) Series, The WinterCity Festival presents Winter Moves – dance performances from four of Canada’s top contemporary dance companies. Performances take place outside at Nathan Phillips Square on Festival weekends. Participating companies include:
Company Blonde – Company Blonde has a unique and vital presence in the independent dance scene in Canada. Since it’s inception in 1999, Company Blonde has been dedicated to creating dance works that are accessible to a vast audience of all ages blending comedy and theatre with classical modern dance. Company Blonde will perform:
• Awright, Awright, Awright! — Clad in bright 70’s style one-piece snowsuits this highly energetic piece was designed for the outdoors but has found its way onto many small stages. The dancers (Monica Dottor, Michelle Debrouwer, Jennifer Helland, Sunny Horvath and Nicole Rush) arrive in a car, music blaring, put out a few plastic palm trees and dance with all their heart to the pop music of Outkast. It is nearly impossible to resist shakin’ it along side them. Awright, Awright, Awright! premiered at the Guelph Contemporary Dance Festival in March 2004 and has been performed many times since, at schools, on stages indoor and out and always in snowsuits.
• Binder Twine — This hilarious Wild West piece features outlaws, saloon girls, line dancers, tumble weed and baked beans! Featuring dancers Monica Dottor, Michelle Debrouwer, Jennifer Helland, Sunny Horvath and Nicole Rush Binder Twine premiered at the Guelph Contemporary Dance Festival in April 2005 and was performed at the T.O Twang Festival at Harbourfront in August 2005.
CORPUS — Founded in 1997, CORPUS is devoted to creating original work for broad audiences including children. Led by Sylvie Bouchard and David Danzon, CORPUS is known for its precise and surrealist humour, the company combines contemporary dance and physical theatre. CORPUS will perform:
• Les moutons (The Sheep) — Les moutons is a humorous “live installation” where reality meets fantasy. Meet Julie, Marie-Louise, Bernadette and Cesar, three healthy young sheep and an old ram. The Shepherd is here too, talking you through a carefully studied overview of sheep behavior.
Tina Fushell / Choreographer / Dancer — Born and raised in St. John's, Nfld., Tina Fushell studied at the Quinte Ballet School and the School of Toronto Dance Theatre. In 2002 Tina co-founded Ambitious Enterprises (AE) with Kate Franklin and Samm Higgison, producing the "At the Wrecking Ball" series, a now yearly event which has garnered much praise for the young company and ushered in a new generation of choreographers and collaborators from various disciplines. Tina Fushell will present:
• sTOries — sTOries is performed to live jazz music. This contemporary dance piece is inspired by Torontonians stories about Winter. The highly physical sTOries features a trio of dancers (Tina Fushell, Anisa Tejpar and Kate Franklin) dressed for Winter in full wool skirts, blazers and boots.
Larchaud Dance Project is known for their strength-testing choreography and gravity defying movement and are certain to captivate, provoke, and entertain all audiences. Larchaud Dance Project’s upcoming June 2006 production is based on the world and culture of videogames. Each piece in the show is based on a world/level of the game, albeit a jungle, a labyrinth, underwater, etc. At the WinterCity Festival, Larchaud Dance Projects will present:
• Ice World — Of all the levels of a videogame the ice world proves to be the greatest challenge. Not only must the players overcome the treacherous conditions of their environment, but they must conquer the evil Queen and her Henchman. It is she who controls this world, and in her defeat, they may progress onto the next level.
Weekend # 1 – Saturday, January 28 and Sunday, January 29
Time / Company / Performance
1:00 p.m. Company Blonde - Awright, Awright, Awright!
1:05 p.m. Corpus - Les Moutons
2:30 p.m. Company Blonde - Binder Twine
4:00 p.m. Company Blonde - Awright, Awright, Awright!
4:05 p.m. Corpus - Les Moutons
5:30 p.m. Company Blonde - Binder Twine
Weekend # 2 – Saturday, February 4 and Sunday, February 5
Time / Company / Performance
1:00 p.m. Tina Fushell - sTOries
2:30 p.m. Larchaud Dance Project - Ice World
4:00 p.m. Tina Fushell - sTOries
5:30 p.m. Larchaud Dance Project - Ice World
The WinterCity Festival is an award-winning 14 day city-wide celebration of Toronto’s culture, creativity and cuisine. The WinterCity Festival runs from January 27 – February 9, 2006 and offers three distinct areas of programming: the WOW! (Wild on Winter) Series featuring free outdoor spectacle shows, live music and performing arts at Nathan Phillips Square; the Warm-up Series with dazzling performances and discounts at some of Toronto’s leading cultural and tourist attractions; and the return of the hugely popular restaurant promotion Winterlicious, presented by American Express.
Admission to the WOW! (Wild On Winter) events on Nathan Phillips Square are FREE. Nathan Phillips Square is located at 100 Queen Street West. Take the TTC Queen Streetcar (501), the Yonge Line subway (exit Queen station) or the University Line (exit Osgoode station).
For more information on WinterCity and other events produced by Toronto Special Events, call Access Toronto at 416-338-0338 or visit http://www.toronto.ca/special_events.
Images available for download at http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/media.htm
Toronto Special Events