Gardiner closed this weekend for annual maintenance and repair work|
| || ||
The Gardiner Expressway will be closed in both directions from the Humber River
to Carlaw Avenue from Saturday, October 1 at 2 a.m. to Monday, October 3 at 5
a.m. for annual maintenance and road work.
Work being done at this time includes:
- expressway lighting maintenance
- catch basin cleaning (to ensure proper drainage on the roadway)
- traffic camera maintenance
- sign repairs
- paving work, including the on-ramps at Jarvis Street, Rees Street and
- repairs to guide rails and the centre median
- sweeping operations.
To access the downtown area, alternate routes include:
- from the west, exit the Gardiner Expressway at the Lake Shore Boulevard
off-ramp and use Lake Shore Boulevard
- from the east, stay on Lake Shore Boulevard past the Carlaw Street on-ramp
and use Lake Shore Boulevard
- from the north, exit the Don Valley Parkway at Bayview/Bloor, Richmond
Street or Lake Shore Boulevard.
Motorists are advised to allow for additional time to arrive at their
destination when using the alternate routes.
"This is important work that needs to be done to maintain safe travel
conditions on the Gardiner Expressway," said Gary Welsh, General Manager,
Transportation Services. "By undertaking this work during a full closure on the
weekend, we can avoid having the Gardiner Expressway closed on multiple
occasions during weekdays."
Whenever possible, the public is encouraged to consider using public transit as
a convenient alternative.
For further information about other closures check with Transportation
Services' Road Info line at 416-599-9090 or visit the City's Web site at