City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Search
   
Newsroom
   
Archived news release by year
  2013
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
   
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
   
   
 
July 9, 2004
Candles: A Glowing Concern
  
A cat may have accidentally knocked over an unattended candle this morning at
1564 Queen St. W. causing $20,000 damage. While Toronto Fire Fighters put out
the fire, they also rescued and revived the cat.

Over the past few years, the use of candles in the home and the number of fires
caused by their misuse have greatly increased. Toronto Fire Services offers the
following tips for the safe use of candles:

- Secure candles in sturdy holders and, if possible, place glass chimneys or
shades over them

- Keep lit candles out of the reach of children and pets and well away from any
combustible materials

"An unattended candle is an invitation to disaster, so don't forget to put out
your candles before leaving the room or going to bed," said Toronto Fire Chief
Bill Stewart.

Remember to keep all matches and lighters out of the sight and reach of
children.

Media contact:
Captain Mike Strapko, Toronto Fire Services, 416-338-9319, pager: 416-468-9399



 

 

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2019