City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Archived news release by year
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
April 5, 2004
Toronto Fire Services responds to tragic, avoidable accident
This morning, at 9:13 a.m., Toronto Fire Services responded to a tragic kitchen
accident which resulted in an elderly female suffering life-threatening burns
to a large portion of her body.

It appears the woman was working in her kitchen, wearing a loose fitting "house
dress" and while reaching across the stove, her clothes caught fire resulting
in serious burns to the majority of her body, with approximately 10 per cent of
them being third degree.

While this is an important time of the year to change the batteries in smoke
alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, we must never lose sight of general home
safety tips. Toronto Fire Services would like to remind everyone, especially
seniors, to refrain from wearing loose fitting clothing while around stoves and
heat producing appliances, to always try to utilize the front burners of the
appliance and never reach across the stove to adjust burners or for any other

Media contact:
Captain David Sheen
Toronto Fire Services, Information Officer
416-578-4316 (cell)
416-468-9978 (pager)



Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2019