Exhibit explores provincial asylums|
| || ||
The Provincial Asylums in Toronto and Mimico: Reflections on Social and
Architectural History is on view at the Market Gallery from March 6 to June 20,
The Provincial Asylums examines the architecture of these 19th-century
institutions and some of the social issues surrounding the treatment approaches
for mental illness. Two important institutions are featured. The Queen Street
West facility, designed by John George Howard, opened in 1850 and is the site
of today's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Opened in 1890 at
Mimico, the former Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital was known for its innovative
outpatient / community programs.
This exhibition also takes into account the patients' perspective of mental
institutions through rare, hand-written documents and a number of works by
artists who have received services from the Centre for Addiction and Mental
The exhibition is curated in partnership with the Toronto Region Architectural
Conservancy and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Archives.
Historic items are on loan from the Toronto Reference Library, the Archives of
Ontario, the Psychiatric Survivor Archives of Toronto and the CAMH Archives.
Maps, artifacts and photographs illustrate the planning, construction and
programming at these facilities.
The Market Gallery offers changing exhibitions dedicated to Toronto's history,
art and culture as well as educational programs for school groups and adults.
Located inside the South St. Lawrence Market, in Toronto's oldest
neighbourhood, the main gallery occupies the 19th century city council chamber
which is all that remains from the City Hall that stood on this site from 1845
Admission is free to the Market Gallery, on the second floor of the South St.
Lawrence Market, 95 Front St. E. Gallery hours are Wednesdays through Fridays,
10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays, noon to 4 p.m.
Pamela Wachna, Co-ordinator of Collections and Outreach,