City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Search
   
Newsroom
   
Archived news release by year
  2013
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
   
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
   
   
 
August 18, 2009
Toronto Song Contest winner to be announced
  
On August 21, at opening day of the Canadian National Exhibition, the top 10 Toronto Song Contest finalists will face off live at the Midway Stage in a performance free to CNE patrons.

Date: Friday, August 21
Time: 7 p.m.
Location: Midway Stage, Exhibition Place

More than 500 songs were submitted to the Toronto Song Contest as part of the City of Toronto's 175th anniversary celebrations taking place this year. About 20,000 votes have been cast online by the public in support of their favourite song, which will account for 20 per cent of the final decision. The remaining 80 per cent will be scored by a panel of celebrity judges.

In honour of Toronto’s 175th anniversary, a special admission price for opening day only - $1.75 - is being offered to the public by the CNE. The finale concert begins at 7 p.m. and the winner will be announced following the performances.

The City is presenting the Toronto Song Contest in partnership with CP24, NOW Magazine, the CNE and the North By Northeast Music & Film Festival and Conference.

CP24 is Toronto’s source for breaking news. The station is owned by CTV Inc, a division of CTVglobemedia.

NOW Magazine / nowtoronto.com is Toronto's independent news and entertainment voice. Entire contents are © NOW Communications Inc.

The Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) is Canada’s largest fair and the fourth largest in North America. Founded in 1879, the CNE attracts 1.3 million visitors over 18 days generating $52.5 million in economic impact for the City of Toronto and $71.4 million for the Province of Ontario on an annual basis. The 2009 CNE takes place from August 21 to September 7th and offers more than 100 concerts, events and attractions that are all free with admission to the fair. Visit TheEx.com for details.

15 Years, 500 Bands, 50 Stages, 30 Films, 25 Panels, 5 Days. The North by Northeast Music & Film Festival and Conference (NXNE) runs June 17-June 21, 2009 in Toronto.. Visit www.nxne.com to buy passes & wristbands and for more festival info.

Toronto is Canada's largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.6 million people. It is the economic engine of Canada and one of the greenest and most creative cities in North America. Toronto has won numerous awards for quality, innovation and efficiency in delivering public services. 2009 marks the 175th anniversary of Toronto's incorporation as a city. Toronto's government is dedicated to prosperity, opportunity and liveability for all its residents.

Media contact:
Cheryn Thoun, Manager, Strategic Communications, 416-919-6501, cthoun@toronto.ca



 

 

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2017