Gardiner Expressway closed this weekend for annual spring maintenance|
| || ||
The City of Toronto's Transportation Services Division is continuing to perform maintenance work on the Gardiner Expressway in the month of May. In order to perform this work safely, a full closure of a section of the Gardiner Expressway will be required from May 15 to 17.
The Gardiner Expressway will be closed in both directions from the Don Valley Parkway to the Humber River from Saturday, May 15 at 4 a.m. to Monday, May 17 at 5 a.m.
Specific activities that will be undertaken during this closure include:
• Spring catchbasin cleaning (required to ensure proper drainage)
• Rehabilitation of the Jameson bridge over the Gardiner Expressway
• Installation of barrier wall
• Removal/relocation/installation of signs associated with Jameson ramp closure
• Pavement markings and sign maintenance
• Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) camera maintenance
• Inspection and repair of overhead signs
• Installation of RESCU vehicle detectors
• Guiderail repair
• Expressway sweeping operations and litter removal.
Motorists can use Lake Shore Boulevard and the Queensway as alternative routes during the closure. Whenever possible, people are encouraged to use public transit as a convenient alternative.
In addition, motorists are reminded that there will be other continuing closures on the expressway to accommodate ongoing resurfacing work during May. This includes:
• All westbound lanes of the Gardiner Expressway will be closed from Kipling Avenue to Highway 427 on May 13 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. All westbound traffic must exit the expressway at Kipling Avenue. This work was originally scheduled to take place last weekend, but was postponed due to inclement weather.
• The eastbound express lanes of the Gardiner Expressway, from Kipling Avenue to Royal York Road, will be closed on Saturday, May 15 from 2 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. The collector lanes will be open, but traffic will need to exit the expressway at Park Lawn Road due to the full Gardiner Expressway closure noted above.
• All eastbound lanes of the Gardiner Expressway, from Royal York Road to the off-ramp to Lake Shore Boulevard, will be closed on Saturday, May 15 from 2 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
• The westbound express lanes of the Gardiner Expressway from Islington Avenue to Kipling Avenue will be closed Sunday, May 16 from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. The collector lanes will be open during this time period. This work was to take place last weekend, but was postponed due to inclement weather.
As well, construction on the Jameson Avenue bridges over the Gardiner Expressway will continue. As a result of demolition work on these bridges, traffic on the Gardiner Expressway at this location will be limited to two lanes in each direction until June 11.
For further information about other road closures, visit the City’s website at http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.
Toronto is Canada's largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.6 million people. It is the economic engine of Canada and one of the greenest and most creative cities in North America. Toronto has won numerous awards for quality, innovation and efficiency in delivering public services. Toronto's government is dedicated to prosperity, opportunity and liveability for all its residents. For information about non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can dial 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Steve Johnston, Senior Communications Coordinator, 416-392-4391, email@example.com