City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Search
   
Newsroom
   
Archived news release by year
  2013
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
   
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
   
   
 
July 9, 2010
Toronto temporarily stops shipments of organics to one of its contractors
  
The City of Toronto uses five different processing facilities (four contracted and one city-owned) to compost its Green Bin material. Today, one of the contract facilities, Orgaworld, announced a temporary shutdown of its facility near London for approximately two months to improve its odour control systems. When the necessary repairs are complete, the City expects to resume shipments to Orgaworld.

Orgaworld currently processes approximately 25 per cent of the City’s 110,000 tonnes a year of Green Bin material and also composts organics for other municipalities. The temporary loss of this processing capacity will be a challenge for the City of Toronto. The City is working with its other contractors and staff at its own anaerobic digestion compost facility in Downsview to attempt to redirect this displaced material. Toronto is also actively searching for replacement capacity elsewhere, exploring all alternatives.

If alternatives are not available, and only as a last resort, approximately 4,000 tonnes (anticipated volume of organics generated over two months) may need to be landfilled. If that is required, the resulting impact on the City’s annual residential waste diversion rate would be up to 0.4 per cent, which equates to a lowering of the estimated 2010 overall waste diversion rate to 45.6 per cent from 46 per cent.

“It is unfortunate when any business experiences operational issues that impact its ability to conduct business and fulfill contractual obligations. We understand Orgaworld’s closure is temporary,” said Geoff Rathbone, General Manager of Toronto’s Solid Waste Management Services. “It points out the importance of Council’s recent decision to build a second new state-of-the-art compost facility in Etobicoke. Ultimately, this strategy will allow the City of Toronto to be self sufficient with processing capacity inside our boundaries.”

This move has no impact on organics collection in the City of Toronto. Residents should continue to use their Green Bins and those businesses participating in the Yellow Bag Program will continue to put organics out for collection.

Toronto is Canada's largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.6 million people. It is the economic engine of Canada and one of the greenest and most creative cities in North America. Toronto has won numerous awards for quality, innovation and efficiency in delivering public services. Toronto's government is dedicated to prosperity, opportunity and liveability for all its residents. For information about non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can dial 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Media contact:
Geoff Rathbone, General Manager Solid Waste Management Services, 416-392-4715, grathbo@toronto.ca



 

 

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2017