Colborne Lodge to host Earth Day in High Park|
| || ||
Toronto Culture Division -- The City of Toronto Culture Division, in
co-operation with Parks and Recreation Division and the High Park Citizens'
Advisory Committee, are presenting several environment awareness activities to
celebrate Earth Day in Toronto's beautiful High Park on Sunday, April 21
between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. Listed below are some of the day's highlights:
· Examine environmental displays, exhibits and products provided by The Toronto
Field Naturalists, Green Tourism, and Alternative Grounds, purveyor of Fair
Trade coffee in the Roncesvalles area. Other exhibitors include Toronto
Wildflower Society, the North American Native Plant Society, Bloor West
Eco-Village, and LEAF.
· Joseph Paquette, popular storyteller in the Native tradition
· Speak with individuals of FLAP (Fatal Light Awareness Program) which
and advocates a "lights off" policy at night for migratory birds in urban areas.
· Purchase rare native plants grown from seeds collected in High Park, with
proceeds going to support native plant and park programs.
· Enjoy face painting and games. Other children's activities include Bird
Bingo, compost fun and a seasonal discovery craft.
· Local poet, Sheila Hyland will be leading a Haiku workshop at 1:30 p.m.
· Liz Murphy from EnviroThreads will be making paper plate bird feeders with
children and selling her line of hand-crafted environmental products.
· Eco-Man, Milan Jakubec will return to host children's activities and sell
· Tour Colborne Lodge, the 1837 home of the founders of High Park for special
event admission of $2.
According to Cheryl Hart, Museum Site Coordinator for Colborne Lodge, "John and
Jemima Howard, owners of Colborne Lodge and the founders of High Park, believed
in the spiritual value of nature and wanted to maintain it for everyone's
benefit. The Lodge and its grounds are certainly an appropriate and inspiring
venue for Earth Day celebrations."
The grounds are free. Some activity fees apply. Colborne Lodge is located at
the south entrance of High Park - Colborne Lodge Drive just north of the
Queensway. By TTC, take the #501 streetcar from Osgoode Subway Station or walk
through the park from High Park station. For more information call Colborne
Lodge at 416-392-6916.