Clean Sweep or Else - Councillor Moscoe helps clean up neighbourhood on Broom Day|
| || ||
Toronto Councillor Howard Moscoe has declared Tuesday April 29, 2003 Broom Day
on Eglinton Avenue West.
As a result of a meeting of businesses and residents in the neighbourhood,
Councillor Moscoe and Nick Alampi, the Vice-President of the Business
Improvement Area, will help clean up Eglinton Avenue West by presenting 300
Eglinton West merchants with a complimentary broom and dust pan. The delegation
will be asking them, on behalf of the neighbourhood, to sweep their property on
a daily basis.
City inspectors will join Councillor Moscoe and Mr. Alampi on the visit to
present the brooms. Subsequently, the same inspectors will be presenting
violation notices to those merchants who refuse to co-operate. At 11 a.m., the
Broom Day delegation will begin its travels at Andrew's Formals, 1558 Eglinton
Ave. W. (near Oakwood Avenue).
Broom Day is part of an ongoing program to clean up Eglinton Avenue West
between Marlee Avenue and Caledonia Road. The program also includes a
graffiti-removal component, recently adopted by Council in the 2003 operating
budget. City crews have recently completed 682 Inspections, and issued 184
warning notices and 62 tickets.
Other program activities include:
- Distributing recycling boxes to residents above stores
- Revamping the garbage collection system
- Consolidating garbage collection from four to two days and shifting to a
- Issuing violation notices to property owners for improperly disposing of trash
- Cleaning streets more frequently
- Emptying litter bins more frequently
- Power-washing sidewalks
- Establishing a laneway clean-up day.