City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Archived news release by year
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
November 20, 2003
Important information about City of Toronto water and tax bills
The City of Toronto is changing how water bills are addressed and who will be
responsible for their payment.

Effective January 1, 2004, the City of Toronto will begin mailing water bills
directly to property owners, even if alternate mailing arrangements are
currently in place. However, the City of Toronto will give property owners the
opportunity to have their bills mailed to an agent, for example, a tenant,
another family member, an accountant or a management company.

This new billing process is in response to recent provincial legislation
(Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25) which assigns responsibility for water
and sewer charges to the owner of the property supplied with the service,
regardless of the actual consumer.

Failing to pay a water bill by the due date will result in the loss of the
discount normally provided for payments made by the due date. This means that,
if a water bill is not paid on time (regardless of who receives it), the City
reserves the right to transfer the unpaid balance to the property's tax account
for collection.

To arrange for water bills to be mailed to another agent, property owners must
complete and return a water bill mailing request form directing the City to
change the mailing address. Water bill mailing request forms have been mailed
to all property owners.

Additional water bill mailing request forms may be obtained by:
· speaking with a customer service representative, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m. at 416-338-4829;
· visiting the enquiry/cashier counter in any Civic Centre or at City Hall;
· writing to: City of Toronto Finance, Attention: General Correspondence, 5100
Yonge St., Toronto, ON M2N 5V7.

If you are a homeowner who lives in a house receiving water and sewer services,
you do not need to do anything. Your water bill will continue to be mailed to
you as usual.

Media contacts:
Giuliana Carbone, Director, Revenue Services, 416-392-8065
Cindy Bromley, Finance Communications Manager, 416-791-3167



Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2019