City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Search
   
Newsroom
   
Archived news release by year
  2013
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
   
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
   
   
 
May 12, 2003
TORONTO'S DOORS ARE OPEN! Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25
  
4th Annual Doors Open Toronto
Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25
City-Wide Celebration - Focus on the Visual Arts

Toronto Culture - Doors Open Toronto takes place Saturday, May 24 and Sunday,
May 25. Over 130 buildings will open their doors for free (many buildings are
not normally open to the public). This weekend event is dedicated to built
heritage, architecture and design and profiles many landmarks, historical
buildings and hidden gems. Doors Open Toronto creates free access, heightens
awareness and generates excitement about our city.

See historic works of art, contemporary exhibits and creative centres at Doors
Open Toronto sites throughout the city. Meet two Canadian artists at home in
their live-work spaces. Doris McCarthy (Fool's Paradise) and Gordon MacNamara
(Studio Building), both in their 90s, welcome all visitors. Highlights include:

Arts and Letters Club of Toronto, 14 Elm St.
Sat.: Not Open; Sun.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
A gathering place for Toronto's artistic and literary community since 1920. The
Great Hall features a baronial fireplace and beautiful collection of Canadian
art. Guided tours are available.

Cedar Ridge Creative Centre, 225 Confederation Dr.
Sat.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Overlooking Highland Creek, this 14-room mansion is one of Toronto's best kept
secrets. Built as a summer home for the Charles Cummings family, it was later
purchased by John Fraser who renamed it Cedar Ridge. The centre is currently
operated as an arts centre by the City of Toronto.

Courthouse Market Grille (former York County Courthouse), 57 Adelaide St.
E.

Sat.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: Not Open
This Greek Revival courthouse was the symbol of the authority of law in
Victorian Toronto. After 50 years as a courthouse, the building served as home
to the Arts and Letters Club and later was used as a theatre. Now a favourite
site for dining and dancing, this venue celebrates its 150th anniversary.

Chinese Cultural Centre, 5183 Sheppard Ave. E.
Sat.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Interior finishes of this 1998 building designed by Kuwabara Payne McKenna
Blumberg (KPMB) were inspired by the traditional Chinese fine arts and by the
five essential elements: metal, wood, water, fire and earth. Special exhibit:
The Wonderful World -- Works by Stephen Yau and His Students in the art
gallery. A free symposium entitled "Tribute to Wayson Choy" will be held on
Saturday from 2 to 5 p.m.

Fool's Paradise (home of artist Doris McCarthy), 1 Meadowcliffe Dr
Sat: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
One-storey frame house on Scarborough Bluffs, artist's home and studio since
1940, bequeathed to Ontario Heritage Foundation. Self-guided tours are
available.

St. Anne's Anglican Church (National Historic Site), 270 Gladstone
Ave.

Sat.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun: 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This dramatic Byzantine-style church is decorated with seventeen spectacular
murals by members of the Group of Seven (J.E.H. MacDonald, Frederick H. Varley,
Franklin Carmichael) and some of their acquaintances. Sculptures by Frances
Loring and Florence Wyle enhance the dome.

Studio Building, 25 Severn Street
Sat: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Sun: Not Open
Lawren Harris and Dr. James MacCallum hired architect Eden Smith to build this
four-storey landmark artists' studio near the Rosedale Valley. In 1921, a group
of artists who were living and working in the building held an exhibition
together, naming themselves The Group of Seven. In 1948 Harris sold the
building to its current owner artist Gordon MacNamara. A.Y. Jackson was the
last of the Group of Seven to leave in 1955. Harold Town had a studio in the
building. Tour the owner's ground floor live-work studio space. Paintings for
sale.

Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum and Art Centre, 67 Pottery Road
Sat.: noon to 5 p.m.; Sun.: noon to 5 p.m.
Set in the scenic Don River Valley, this multidisciplinary cultural complex
tells the story of early industry in Toronto. It offers a range of programs
that promote learning about the arts, the natural environment and industrial
history. See work by Toronto photographer Marc Rochette featuring urban images.

University of Toronto Art Centre, 15 King's College Circle
Sat: 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: Not Open
Toronto's third largest public gallery established to provide a home for three
permanent art collections: the Lillian Malcove Collection, the University
College Collection, and the eclectic University of Toronto Art Collection.

Women's Art Association of Canada, 23 Prince Arthur Ave.
Sat.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sun.: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Victorian fireplaces and impressive entrance hall remain from the original
house, which has been renovated to serve as gallery space. The Women's Art
Association of Canada bought the property in 1916, and has a fine collection of
early 20th century Canadian art.

Visit www.doorsopen.org
for complete program information. Building hours vary; many are open 10
a.m. to 4 p.m. on one or both days. Be sure to confirm times for each building
when planning your route. The official Program Guide will be published in the
Toronto Star, What's On section on Thursday, May 15, 2003. No pre-registration
or tickets required. Admission is free. For public event information, please
call: 416-338-3888.

Corporate sponsors are Taylor Hazell Architects Ltd. and Clifford Restoration
Limited. Doors Open Toronto thanks its title sponsor, the Toronto Star and
media sponsors CBC Radio One and CBC Television. Community partners include
Heritage Toronto and Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Doors Open Toronto is a signature event of the City of Toronto Culture
Division.


Media Contact
Doors Open Toronto
416-338-3888

 

 

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2019