Media Advisory: City of Toronto hosts 4th Annual Toronto Youth Games|
| || ||
Parks and Recreation - A record 36 teams are ready to compete in the fourth
annual Toronto Youth Games 2003.
The games are a celebration of sportsmanship, camaraderie and enjoyment for
youth 13 to 16 years of age. Events include wheelchair basketball, volleyball,
track and field and swimming.
The festivities get started with the opening ceremonies and a parade of
athletes on Saturday at 10 a.m. The Games culminate with the medal
presentations and closing ceremonies on Sunday afternoon.
Dates: Saturday, August 9 to Sunday, August 10
Times: Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: Birchmount Stadium and Community Centre
93 Birchmount Road
(corner of Birchmount and Kingston Roads)
Rain or Shine
Toronto Youth Games 2003
· The first ever Toronto Youth Games were held in 2000 as a millenium project,
with the intention that they would continue as an annual Toronto Parks and
· Toronto Youth Games 2003 brings together youth between the ages of 13 and 16
from across the city. Thirty-six teams will compete in a variety of sports.
Teams are made up of young men, women and challenged athletes.
· Toronto Youth Games 2003 has the following objectives:
· To provide youth with an opportunity to compete with other athletes to
broaden their base of friendship and understanding.
· To provide youth with an opportunity to participate in sports regardless of
skill level or training.
· To provide youth with an opportunity to develop physical and leadership
· To promote community pride and involvement.
· To promote good sportsmanship and respect for the rules of the game, one's
self, and the environment while playing to the best of one's ability.
· Youth will compete in the following variety of events over a two-day period:
· Volleyball: 20 minute games
· Swimming: Team freestyle relay
· Track and Field: running and throwing events
· 400 Metre Relay Race
· Wheelchair Basketball: regulation play, each athlete plays a full quarter
· Sponsorship of the Toronto Youth Games 2003 is provided by Pepsi, Nike,
Pizza-Pizza, and Student Price Card.
The Toronto Youth Games 2003 will take place at the Birchmount Stadium and
Community Centre located at 93 Birchmount Road. The festivities get started
with the opening ceremonies and a parade of athletes on Saturday at 10 a.m. The
Games culminate with the medal presentations and closing ceremonies on Sunday
Economic Development, Culture and Tourism Media Hotline, 416-560-8726