City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Archived news release by year
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
September 20, 1998
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
(September 20th, 1998) Toronto - Toronto Fire Services, in cooperation with
other City of Toronto services, is launching a Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week
commencing on Sunday, September 20th until Saturday, September 26th, 1998. The
week will focus on promoting the installation of residential carbon monoxide
detectors and answering the community's questions regarding the silent killer,
carbon monoxide.

In addition to a week-long Carbon Monoxide information display located in the
Commerce Court of the CIBC Building, posters promoting carbon monoxide
awareness will appear in Toronto Bus Shelters and information pamphlets
developed by the City will also be available from all Toronto Fire Stations,
Public Libraries, and Community Centres.

This City initiative comes prior to the enforcement of the new By-law, entitled
The Carbon Monoxide Detector By-law, on November 1st, 1998. Under this By-law,
which was designed to prescribe maintenance and occupancy standards for
dwelling units for carbon monoxide detectors, all homes, boarding and lodging
houses, and dwelling units will require the installation and maintenance of a
carbon monoxide detector. Fire Chief Alan Speed and the City's Fire Prevention
Inspectors are the appointed designates for enforcing the provisions of this
By-law. It is the intention of the By-law to protect people from the deadly
effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon Monoxide is the #1 cause of accidental poisoning deaths in North
America, and by promoting the facts surrounding this issue the City intends to
reduce the number of these accidents and save lives. Carbon Monoxide is
invisible, and cannot be smelled or tasted. It is produced by the incomplete
combustion of fossil fuels used by gas and oil furnaces, space and water
heaters, clothes dryers, ovens, wood stoves, and other household appliances.
Levels of carbon monoxide can rise to deadly levels in well sealed or
inadequately ventilated homes. Breathing carbon monoxide may cause brain
damage, suffocation, and even death, and pregnant women, children, older
adults, and people with heart and lung problems are at greater risk of injury.
Warning signs of possible carbon monoxide poisoning can include fatigue,
dizziness, nausea or vomiting, and shortness of breath.

Carbon monoxide detectors installed in the home, especially in the bedroom
vicinity, can protect occupants from carbon monoxide poisoning. Models range
from battery-operated to plug-in models, and should be UL-2034 listed
(Underwriters Laboratories Standard). Plug-in models must also bear the
Canadian Standards Association label (CSA). When an alarm is sounded, all
occupants should immediately leave the home, and from an external location call
9-1-1. Residents are advised not to return to the home until Toronto Fire
Services crews have inspected the home for the source of carbon monoxide and
the problem has been corrected

For more information on Carbon Monoxide, citizens may contact their closest
Fire Prevention Office:

West Command:
Former Etobicoke- 394-8588

South Command:
Former Toronto - 392-0150
Former York - 394-2783

East Command:
Former East York - 396-3752

North Command:
Former North York - 395-7200
Former Scarborough - 396-7644

Information on Carbon Monoxide can also be obtained by visiting Emergency Services.

Media Contact
Marla Friebe
Information Officer, Toronto Fire Services
(416) 397-4334

Brian Stewart
Public Education Officer, Toronto Fire Services
(416) 392-0102



Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2019