The 40th annual Cavalcade of Lights illuminates 19 Toronto Neighbourhoods for the holiday season|
| || ||
The 40th annual Cavalcade of Lights presented by Scotiabank, Toronto’s multi-award-winning holiday celebration, illuminates 19 Toronto neighbourhoods with a series of magnificent new energy-efficient LED lighting displays. From flowing fountains of light to shimmering Christmas Trees, these brilliant creations -- including the addition of five more neighbourhoods this year -- beautify the city throughout the holiday season.
The five new neighbourhood locations for 2006 are: Bloorcourt Village; Bloordale Village; Corso Italia; Eglinton Way; and St. Clair Gardens. Returning neighbourhood locations are: Bloor West Village; Bloor-Yorkville; Downtown Yonge; GreekTown on the Danforth; Harbourfront Queens Quay; Junction Gardens; Kennedy Road; Korea Town; Little Italy; Old Cabbagetown; Rosedale Main Street; St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood; The Kingsway; and Yonge-Lawrence Village.
On Saturday, November 18 the Neighbourhood Lighting Celebrations will take place with the following 10 neighbourhoods lighting their displays and celebrating with free public events. In addition, Toronto Hydro -- Electric System is also getting into the spirit of the season offering the public one free set of energy-efficient LED festive lights in exchange for two sets of old incandescent (traditional) seasonal lights (while quantities last/some restrictions apply). Visit http://www.torontohydro.com/sled for complete details.
The 10 celebration locations on Saturday, November 18 are:
• Bloor-Yorkville at Village of Yorkville Park. LED Lighting Exchange 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Lighting: 4:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• Bloorcourt Village outside the Bloor Gladstone Library. LED Lighting Exchange 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Downtown Yonge at Yonge-Dundas Square. LED Lighting Exchange 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Greektown on the Danforth at Alexander the Great Parkette. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Junction Gardens at southwest corner of Dundas St. W. and Keele St. LED Lighting Exchange 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• The Kingsway at northwest corner of Bloor St. W. and Royal York Rd. LED Lighting Exchange 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 5:30 p.m.
• Korea Town at Bloor St. W. and Christie St. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Rosedale Main Street outside the LCBO, 10 Scrivener Sq. LED Lighting Exchange 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Lighting: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• Queens Quay Harbourfront. LED Lighting Exchange 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood. LED Lighting Exchange (only): 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Other participating neighbourhoods include:
Wednesday, November 15
• Little Italy, at the corner of College St. and Grace St. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
Thursday, November 16
• Bloor West Village, at the corner of Bloor St. W. and Jane St. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Yonge-Lawrence Village, outside the Scotiabank, 3169 Yonge St. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
Friday, November 17
• Corso Italia, outside St. Nicola Di Bari Roman Catholic Church, 1277 St. Clair Ave. W. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• Old Cabbagetown, outside Javaville Espresso And Juice Bar, 394 Parliament St. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Lighting at 6 p.m.
• St. Clair Gardens at St. Clair Ave. W. and CN Overpass. LED Lighting Exchange 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Lighting at 5 p.m.
In addition, the lighting displays by Bloordale Village, Eglinton Way, and Kennedy Road will be illuminated from Saturday, November 18 through the holiday season.
The Cavalcade of Lights neighbourhood displays serve as the focal point for the Cavalcade of Lights Neighbourhood Bus Tour, which runs Friday, November 24 to Sunday, December 17. The hop-on, hop-off tour, priced at $20 for a full weekend pass, allows passengers to shop by day and view the beautiful lights by night. The bus departs from Nathan Phillips Square.
Hop-on an evening tour for a guided exploration of the energy-efficient lighting displays in Toronto neighbourhoods. Day time tours are designed to make your holiday shopping a breeze; you can easily get off and explore each neighbourhood along the route. Find that perfect gift in a one-of-a-kind store and take a break over a meal -- and then hop back on the bus to see the next neighbourhood. Discover Toronto’s diverse neighbourhoods, delicious cuisine and why this city is one of the hottest shopping destinations in North America. Along the way, you will hear some fascinating stories about Toronto from an expert guide. Be sure to enjoy an evening tour to best see the brilliant lighting creations across the city.
Visit the website at http://www.toronto.ca/special_events for tour times and details. For more information about Cavalcade of Lights and other events produced by City of Toronto Special Events, call Access Toronto at 416-338-0338 or visit http://www.toronto.ca/special_events.
Grant Ramsay, Toronto Special Events, 416 395-7318