Extreme Heat Alert extended - Cooling Centres still open|
| || ||
Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health has extended yesterday’s Extreme Heat Alert for today, Tuesday,
Prolonged periods of heat may increase the risk of health effects for those populations most vulnerable, such as the elderly, infants, young children, the chronically ill, and those taking certain medications. The public is encouraged to call or visit vulnerable and elderly friends and neighbours who may be at risk of suffering health consequences from hot weather.
Four Cooling Centres are open for those in need of relief:
Snacks and water are available at the Cooling Centres. Homeless shelters will also be available for people to keep cool during the day.
- Metro Hall, 55 John St. (John and King), open 24 hours
- East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Ave. (Coxwell and Mortimer), from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall (Burnhamthorpe and Hwy 427), from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge St. (Yonge and Sheppard), from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The public is advised to “Beat the Heat” by taking these precautions:
Landlords of buildings without air conditioning are encouraged to set up dedicated cool rooms and check on vulnerable tenants. A few hours in a cooler location can save lives.
- drink lots of water and natural fruit juices
- stay out of the blazing sun or heat
- avoid strenuous physical activity outdoors
- go to air-conditioned places, including shopping malls, one of Toronto’s 99 libraries, 81 community centres or one of the City’s four Cooling Centres
- never leave the elderly, children or pets unattended in a car
Those in need of assistance may call the Red Cross Heat Information Line at 416-480-2615 between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Both the Red Cross and Emergency Medical Services will respond to requests to check on those who may be at risk.
Toronto Public Health
416-338-7974 (weekdays) | 416-690-2142 (weekends only)
Canadian Red Cross
905-890-1000, ext. 202 | 416-442-1948
For information about the Cooling Centres:
Manager, Emergency Planning, Shelter, Support and Housing Administration
416-397-1384 | 416-714-2730 (pager)