Gardiner closed this weekend for annual spring maintenance and repair work|
| || ||
The Gardiner Expressway will be closed from the Humber River to Carlaw Avenue this weekend for annual maintenance and road work. The closures are schedule as follows:
- Westbound Gardiner Expressway: From 2 a.m. on Saturday, April 29 to 5 a.m. on Monday, May 1
- Eastbound Gardiner Expressway: From 2 a.m. on Saturday, April 29 to noon on Sunday, April 30.
The eastbound Gardiner Expressway is scheduled to re-open earlier to accommodate the Khalsa Day event on Lake Shore Boulevard. Additional sections of the Gardiner Expressway will re-open as work is completed.
Specific activities that will be undertaken during this closure include:
- road resurfacing on the westbound Gardiner Expressway between Dufferin Street and Dowling Avenue
- expressway lighting work
- catch basin cleaning (required to ensure proper drainage)
- traffic camera maintenance
- sign maintenance
- repairs to guide rails and the centre median
- expressway sweeping operations
- construction of footings for new Changeable Message Sign (CMS) in the westbound direction - west of Jameson Avenue.
To access the downtown area, the following alternate routes can be used:
- from the west, exit the Gardiner Expressway at the Lake Shore Boulevard off-ramp and use Lake Shore Boulevard
- from the east, stay on Lake Shore Boulevard past the Carlaw Street on-ramp and use Lake Shore Boulevard
- from the north, exit the Don Valley Parkway at Bayview/Bloor, Richmond Street or Lake Shore Boulevard.
Motorists are advised to allow for additional time to arrive at their destination when using these alternate routes. Whenever possible, the public is encouraged to use public transit as a convenient alternative.
For further information about other closures check with Transportation Services’ Road Info line at 416-599-9090 or visit the City’s website at http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.