Gardiner closure on weekend for annual maintenance and repair work |
| || ||
Revised times: the Gardiner Expressway will re-open on Saturday, October 28 at 6 p.m. for nine hours
The City of Toronto’s Transportation Services Division will be performing a number of maintenance activities on the Gardiner Expressway this weekend. In order to undertake this work safely, a full closure of the Gardiner Expressway will be required.
The Gardiner Expressway will be closed in both directions from Carlaw Avenue to the Humber River from Saturday, October 28 at 2 a.m. to Monday, October 30 at 5 a.m.
To accommodate traffic from the downtown core, the Gardiner Expressway will re-open on Saturday, October 28 at 6 p.m. for nine hours, instead of at 10 p.m. The westbound Gardiner will be opened from Spadina Avenue to the Humber River and the eastbound Gardiner will be opened from Rees Street to Carlaw Avenue.
Specific activities that will be undertaken during this closure include:
• bridge inspections at various locations
• expressway lighting maintenance
• Fall catch basin cleaning (to ensure proper drainage on the roadway)
• Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) camera maintenance
• pavement markings and sign maintenance
• guiderail and asphalt repair
• expressway sweeping operations
• grass-cutting and garbage pick-up.
The following are alternate routes to access the downtown area:
• from the west, exit the Gardiner Expressway at the Lake Shore Boulevard off-ramp and use Lake Shore Boulevard
• from the east, stay on Lake Shore Boulevard past the Carlaw Street on-ramp and use Lake Shore Boulevard
• from the north, exit the Don Valley Parkway at Bayview/Bloor, Richmond Street or Lake Shore Boulevard.
Motorists are advised to be patient and allow for additional time to arrive at their destination when using the alternative routes.
“This is important work that needs to be done to maintain safe travel conditions on the Gardiner Expressway,” said Gary Welsh, General Manager, Transportation Services. “By undertaking this work during a full closure on the weekend, we can avoid having the Gardiner Expressway closed on multiple occasions during weekdays.”
Whenever possible, the public is encouraged to consider using public transit as a convenient alternative.
For further information about other closures check with Transportation Services’ Road Info line at 416-599-9090 or visit the City’s website at http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.
Steve Johnston, Sr. Communications Co-ordinator, 416-392-4391