City of Toronto  

Living in TorontoDoing businessVisiting TorontoAccessing City Hall
 
All news releases
Last 30 days
By month
Search
   
Newsroom
   
Archived news release by year
  2013
  2012 - 2011 - 2010
  2009 - 2008 - 2007
  2006 - 2005 - 2004
  2003 - 2002 - 2001
  2000 - 1999 - 1998
   
RSS identifier linked to feed RSS
   
   
 
February 7, 2006
Carbon monoxide poisoning
  
In the wake of a recent incident and colder weather, the Toronto Fires Services wants you to keep your family and pets safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

What's the big deal?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in North America. Know the facts.

Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. It is produced by gas or oil furnaces, space and water heaters, clothes dryers, ovens, wood stoves and other fossil fuels appliances that run wood, gas, oil or coal.

Why is carbon monoxide so deadly?
When you inhale carbon monoxide, it can cause brain damage, suffocation or death. Because you cannot see, smell or taste this deadly gas, poisoning can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere. Everyone is at risk but pregnant women, young children, senior citizens and people with heart and lung problems are at greater risk. If your home is well sealed or not well ventilated, the levels of carbon monoxide in the air may easily rise to deadly levels.

Warning signs
Carbon monoxide poisoning and the flu seem a lot alike at first. Early warning signs of low-level poisoning include tiredness, headaches, dizziness, nausea or vomiting and shortness of breath. Your skin may also turn pink or red in response to rising blood pressure. If you experience any of these symptoms, you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning and should call 9-1-1 as well as talk to your doctor.

Protect yourself:
  • install at least one carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, especially outside sleeping areas. There are several types of detectors, including battery-operated and plug-in models. Install the carbon monoxide detector according to the manufacturer’s instructions
  • have a qualified service technician inspect and clean your fuel-burning appliances, furnace, vent pipe and chimney flues once a year. Birds’ nests, twigs and old mortar in chimneys can obstruct proper ventilation and lead to build-up of carbon monoxide gas in the home.


Maintenance
Test your carbon monoxide detector regularly to make sure it is operating properly. The owner’s manual should tell you how to test your alarm. Remember to check the manual for information on when to buy a new carbon monoxide detector.

What should you do if the detector alarm sounds?
If the detector sounds, you and all members of your household should leave your home immediately. From outside the home, call 9-1-1. Don’t go back inside until the problem has been found and corrected. The Toronto Fire Services will inspect your home to find the source of the carbon monoxide.


Media contact:

Acting District Chief Mike Strapko
Toronto Fire Services
Information Officer
416-338-0044


 

 

Toronto maps | Get involved | Toronto links
© City of Toronto 1998-2017