To direct the unit's staff in performing accounting duties, pertaining to accounts receivable, payables, purchasing, internal control and in researching, analyzing and reconciling to general ledger and ensures compliance with established corporate policies, procedures and practices.
- Performs accounting duties such as reviewing, researching, analyzing and reconciling ledger accounts, setting up and maintaining expenditures and revenue working papers, spreadsheets and reconciliation to general ledger
- Prepares the monthly divisional financial statements and other financial information for divisions, Provincial and Federal Governments
- Prepares and calculates subsidy claims and other ad hoc financial and statistical reports to the Provincial and Federal Government
- Prepares and maintains accounts receivable functions including bank deposits and reconciliation, preparing, reviewing, posting and reconciling journal entries following departmental and corporate procedures, policies and relevant by-laws
- Researches and analyzes financial information. Prepares financial statements and expenditure reports, i.e. capital expenditure reports, Council initiated special projects expenditure reports, and reserve fund schedules
- Reviews financial system reports, i.e. variance, cost centre, miscellaneous accounts. Makes comments or corrections as necessary
- Analyzes and reconciles account balances. Prepares, reviews and posts journal entries
- Coordinates projects and assignments
- Directs accounting staff and provides training, advice and guidance as needed
- Provides assistance on accounting and financial related matters to Toronto Water staff
- Provides interpretation of policies, by-laws, agreements/contracts and council reports to the public and Toronto Water staff
- Provides financial analysis, claims and other information to the Divisions as requested
- Creates/generates monthly ad hoc financial system reports from various sources for analysis and billing purposes
- Reviews and releases purchasing documents
- Reviews and approves deposit submitted for input into the financial reporting system
- Ensures internal controls for petty cash and other financial functions are maintained in accordance with City By-laws and policies and makes recommendations regarding processes and improvements
- Coordinates with the City, Provincial and Federal Auditors
- Prepares working papers for year end closing
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Able to work out of more than one locations on a continuous basis
- Present enrolment towards completion of a professional accounting designation (i.e. completion of at least the fourth level of the CGA/CMA course requirements) and/or equivalent combination of education and senior experience in the accounting/financial management field.
- Extensive experience in municipal accounting or relevant private sector experience in Cost Accounting, Financial Reporting and Variance Reporting in an operating environment.
- Considerable experience in the analysis, investigation and processes of accounts receivable, such as; generating reports from SAP, transfers to tax rolls using TMACS, referrals to collection agencies and legal department, responding to building owners & preparing letters regarding disputed charges.
- Considerable experience in investigating and analyzing administrative and procedural inefficiencies/problems, recommending solutions and implementing decisions.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in modern municipal accounting principles, practices and techniques applied in an operating environment.
- Considerable experience providing effective work direction and training to accounting staff in an accounting environment.
- Considerable experience analyzing financial data, preparation of financial statements and reports using the computer office system Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, Access and SAP or an equivalent financial system.
- Demonstrated ability to establish good working relationships with staff, operating management and outside departments, agencies and clients.
- Well developed interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing at all organizational levels.
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to meet deadlines and work with minimum supervision.
Salary: $35.24 - $38.61 per hour
Number of vacancies: Two (2)
Job status: Permanent and Temporary
Duration: Permanent (1)
Temporary (1) Approximately 3 months
Job Type: Union